Thursday, January 19, 2012

Whole wheat rainbow pizza

Last night I made pizza.  Pizza is normally greasy and filled with calories, probably why it tastes so good.  I was on a mission to make a good and healthy pizza and I think I did just that.  I found this recipe on allrecipes.com

  • For the dough:
  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour (I used white whole wheat)
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon honey

    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
    3. In a large bowl combine flour, wheat germ and salt. Make a well in the middle and add honey and yeast mixture. Stir well to combine. Cover and set in a warm place to rise for a few minutes.
    4. Roll dough on a floured pizza pan and poke a few holes in it with a fork.
    5. Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until desired crispiness is achieved.
    6. Then top with favorite sauce and toppings. Cook 5-10 min longer until cheese melts.
    7. I used three different colored bell peppers and artichoke hearts.
    8. For the sauce I just used some tomato paste that I had left over from the night before and sprinkled it with oregano, basil, and garlic salt. 

The verdict: Hubby was pleasantly surprised by the thin crispy crust. He thought the peppers were too sweet but that's what I liked about it.  The kids picked off the peppers but at least they had a green smoothie with their pizza. Overall, I think it was a success.

P.S. The brown things on the pizza is seitan pepperoni (meatless).  I won't give the recipe to that since I don't think it was that great.  If and/or when I come up with a good meatless pepperoni then I will post.  



No comments:

Post a Comment