Thursday, January 19, 2012

Veggie Monster Ratatouille

I bought an eggplant the other day because I heard that it has ridiculous good vitamins.  Some of the ways I normally eat eggplant are eggplant parmigiana and an eggplant casserole my mom taught me how to make.  This time I wanted to try something different.  I found a recipe on a vegan blog but changed it since I didn't have all the proper ingredients.  You will learn that about me, I normally will sub stuff in and sub stuff out depending what's in my kitchen that day.  Another thing you will soon learn about me is that I am not a very good planner but I have gotten pretty good at substituting and still coming up with a great version.  So here is my version of a fast and easy Ratatouille.....

1 eggplant, cut into small chunks
1 green pepper, diced or 1 zucchini diced or whatever vegetable you have :)
1 can White beans, drained (can substitute any kind of beans)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tbl. basil
1 t. oregano
1 t. thyme
1 Tbl. oil
1/8 t cayenne pepper
2 t agave (honey will work also)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato paste (can use tomato sauce and omit water)
1 cup water
Salt and pepper to taste
Cooked brown rice or whole wheat pasta

1) Heat a large skillet with olive or coconut oil spray (or just use a few tbsp water). Sautee the eggplant with the garlic till the eggplant is getting nice and brown (about 8 minutes).
2) Add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste or tomato sauce, water, agave, basil, oregano, thyme. Heat through. Test for seasoning, and add more of whatever herbs you like.

The Verdict: Hubby thought it was good.  9 yr. old said, "not bad", 7 yr. old said,"ewww gross stay away from me with that disgusting ratatouille." I said he had to eat 2 bites, he shoveled the two bites into his mouth and then exclaimed, "not bad".  4 yr. old wouldn't even touch the stuff.  I thought the sauce should have simmered a little longer.  Not bad considering it was a super quick meal chock full of nutrition. 







1 comment:

  1. hmm..... I think I'll make this on a day we watch the movie Ratatouille. It's been a long time since we've seen it. I love reading books or watching movies that tie in with the food. :)

    ReplyDelete