Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Debbie's Pad Thai


I was shopping at Sprouts the other day with my kids and they saw these Asian rice noodles and they just begged to have them. Don't ask why, I guess they just looked cool to them.  Anyhow, I ended up buying a box that said Pad Thai and another box of rice noodles that says Maifun. Pad Thai I have heard of but Maifun, no clue.  It has been a really long time since I have had pad thai but I remember I really liked it.  So I set out to find a recipe for pad thai.  The recipe inspiration came from here http://vegetarian.about.com/od/thaifoodrecipes/r/veganpadthai.htm.  Although my version is quite a bit different since I didn't have all the ingredients, surprise surprise.

Pad Thai rice noodles 8 oz. box cooked according to box directions, drained
1 orange bell pepper, cut anyway you like, I cut into strips and then cut the strips in half
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 red cabbage, thinly sliced and cut
2 T oil, I only had canola but sesame would be better
1-2 T cilantro, optional
2 T sliced almonds, optional
diced Tempeh (I used Tempeh), tofu, or chicken

Sauce:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 T peanut butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 t red pepper flakes, more if you like spicy

Whisk together sauce ingredients.

In a large skillet saute the onion, peppers, and garlic in the oil.  When it starts to get soft add the chopped cabbage (the cabbage doesn't take long to cook) for another couple of minutes.

Add the noodles, sauce, cilantro, and almonds.

Serve hot.



Veggie Monster approved, children not so much. Steve liked it but said it needed more sauce.  So I recommend doubling the sauce recipe.  The noodles really soak up all the sauce quite fast.  My daughter liked it but said it was more of a side dish and Steve said he would have to agree.  The boys scrunched up their faces and ran for the hills lol. Nolan did end up trying it at least but he just shook his head no. Oh well, I tried.
Needless to say I had plenty of left overs for the next day and the next.  I ate it cold on top of a beautiful green salad. MMM good!

1 comment: