Thursday, March 15, 2012

Good starter veggie recipes

Lots of my friends wonder what I eat if I don't eat meat.  They want simple recipes without weird ingredients. This recipe for taco soup fits that description.  Some black beans, brown rice, salsa, tomatoes and spices and you have one super easy and delicious veggie recipe. No meat needed! :)  Check out Mary's recipe http://mygreendiet.com/green-diet-plan-recipes/taco-soup/ When I make the soup I do not include the jalapeno since we don't like a lot of spice.

On March 14 also known as Pi day for the mathematical number 3.14.  I made a delicious potato pie.  This pie or tart did call for some ground beef substitute which I know my meat eating friends would not have but it is so delicious I bet you could just exclude it and it would be just as yummy.  Now this is no foofy veggie dish.  This is a hearty and delicious recipe that even the husband liked.  :)  Check out this delicious recipe on Kristi's blog http://www.veggieconverter.com/2011/04/vegan-meat-and-potato-pie-recipe.html.  I added some seasoning salt and celery to ours.  Also, use this recipe for the crust it's phenomenal!

2 Crust-Pie
2/3 cup plus 2 T butter, salted
2 cups all purpose flour
1 t salt
5-6 T cold water

First I cut cold butter into small squares.  Then in my standing mixer I added the flour and then a little at a time added the small butter squares and salt.  I let it mix on low until the butter and flour were well incorporated.  Then one tablespoon at a time I added the cold water until it formed into a dough.  Form a large ball and cut in half.  I refrigerated mine for a little bit because I made it ahead of time.  I don't think that is necessary.  Then just roll into a circle and line the bottom of your pie tin.  Put your filling in and top with remaining dough.  Eating the pie again for lunch. mmmm!

2 comments:

  1. Coming over from Emmy's!! Glad I can get some yummy, healthy meal ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley. Thanks for stopping by! Hope you can find some ideas here.

      Delete