Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Collard green wraps with homemade hummus

So I am doing a 6 week challenge to get fitter and healthier.  I decided I would eat at least one salad a day and usually that is at lunch.  But today I didn't feel like salad and I wanted to try something different.  I was perusing one of the many blogs I follow and I got the inspiration to make these collard green wraps.  The original recipe called for an almond mayo but I didn't have any soaked almonds nor did I have the time to wait for the almonds to soak.  So I set out to make some hummus.  I love hummus, I really need to start making more of it.  This is a great way to get all your servings of veggies! Enjoy!!


Collard- Green Wrap Serves 1
2 collard green leaves, washed and stemmed
2-4 T homemade hummus (recipe below)
1 carrot, sliced into matchsticks
1 yellow pepper, mine were the small kind you can buy in a bag 
1 red pepper, small, sliced into matchsticks
1 avocado

Wash and cut the stem off the collard green leaves.  Then spread a couple tablespoons of hummus on each leaf, top with veggies and roll them up. This would be good with a variety of different veggies but this  is just what I had on hand.  Cucumbers would be good. Next time!

Homemade-healthy Hummus
1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup lemon juice
1-2 teaspoons garlic salt (or regular salt, I just didn't have any)
2 T olive oil 
1 T ground flax-seed
1/8 t cayenne
pepper to taste

Put all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Adjust salt as needed. Mine was pretty salty but I like it that way.  I didn't have to put any salt on the veggies.  




No comments:

Post a Comment