Sunday, February 19, 2012

Super Easy Saturday Enchilada Casserole

Can I just tell you that I absolutely cannot stand cooking on Saturdays.  It's not really the cooking I guess as much as the cleaning up after I am done.  But it's not always realistic to go out on Saturdays if we just went out on Friday.  Sometimes we have leftovers or go to a friends or family members house but sometimes there aren't any leftovers and we have no plans. Bummer! That means the mommy must make something nutritious for her little family.  So here is what the Veggie Monster came up with, drum- roll please.... The Super Easy Saturday Enchilada Casserole.  This recipe can obviously be altered in so many ways.  So feel free to add or substitute any ingredients that you have available at your house.


Super Easy Saturday Enchilada Casserole
3 Ezequiel Sprouted Wheat Tortillas
1/2 can tomato sauce
3/4 cup salsa (can substitute one can enchilada sauce for the salsa and tomato sauce)
1 red bell pepper (I sauteed it first in a pan, not sure it is necessary)
1 can pinto beans
1 can corn
1-2 cups shredded cheddar (or Daiya shredded Cheddar for Vegan option)
Optional:
Avocado
Cilantro
Sour cream

1. Spread some tomato sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish. Place one tortilla on top.
2.  Top with some pinto beans, corn, salsa, bell pepper, and cheese.
3. Place another tortilla on top and repeat step 2.
4. Place last tortilla on top, pour remaining salsa, tomato sauce, and cheese.
5. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

See who says vegetarian food has to be complicated and expensive.  This is a super easy and inexpensive meal.  Complete with protein, fiber, whole grain, and veggie power of course. Give it a try and let me know what you think.  Also, if you try some alternate things that work well in this dish let me know.

The verdict: The hubs liked it.  I know it wasn't anything fabulous but he got fed, lol. The boys just ate bean and cheese burritos because they were so hungry they couldn't wait the 30 minutes.  My daughter liked it but thought it was a bit spicy.  If you are very sensitive to spicy I would recommend using a mild salsa, mine was medium.  The avocado on top definitely helps off set the spicy taste.  I bet sour cream would have also but we didn't have any.  Did you all know that instead of sour cream we have been using Greek yogurt?  It almost tastes the same without all the added fat and calories.  Plus, you get tons of protein and healthy bacteria.  My husband who loves his full-fat sour cream now prefers the Greek yogurt.

My husband promised the kids a movie and ice cream sundaes. Not exactly healthy, I know.  We are still a work in progress. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment