Monday, February 20, 2012

Fluffy, healthy pancakes

I love pancakes! I have tried lots of healthy pancake recipes lately but they all come out chewy.  They aren't gross just not your super yummy fluffy pancake that we are use to.  Today I found the perfect recipe.  Hooray, hooray, happy day.  The original recipe came from www.picklesnhoney.com.  I changed it a tiny bit because I didn't have flax seeds or unsweetened almond milk.  All in all it's still basically the same recipe.


Fluffy Pancake Recipe:
  • 1 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 1/2 C. All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 1/2 Tsp. Baking Powder
  • 1 Tsp. Sea Salt
  • 1 3/4 C. Non-Dairy Milk (I used almond milk) dairy milk would also work
  • 1/2 Tsp. Vanilla
  • 1 chia seed egg (1 Tbs. Chia Seeds, 4 Tbs. Water) (can use a regular egg also)
  • 1 Tsp. Canola Oil
  • Non-Stick Cooking Spray
Instructions
  1. Prepare your chia seed egg by combining 1 Tbs. chia seeds and 4 Tbs. water.
  2. Set aside for 3-5 minutes, and allow to thicken.
  3. In a large mixing bowl add  flours, baking powder and salt.
  4. Add non-dairy milk, vanilla, canola, and flax egg and mix until just combined.
  5. Heat a large frying pan over medium heat.
  6. Lightly spray pan with cooking spray and pour pancake batter onto pan. Cook 1-2 minutes per side.
  7. Plate with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Notes
Feel free to add a touch more non-dairy milk to achieve your desired consistency. If you don't have chia seeds you can also use ground flax seeds mixed with water.  
My daughter was afraid they were going to be gross because they had almond milk and whole wheat flour in them.  But she was wrong, she loved them.  So did my son, the pickiest of the bunch.  Try them, I don't think you will be disappointed.  


No comments:

Post a Comment